How do I get my GED, TASC, HiSET?

confused face 1You’ve decided to get your high school diploma by passing a high school equivalency exam. But you have no idea how to get started! Don’t worry, because in a few minutes everything will be clear.

TASC? HiSET? What are they?

For about 70 years, up until 2013, the GED was the only nationally recognized high school equivalency test. It was owned by the nonprofit organization, the American Council on Education. Over its history, the GED went through major changes a few times, but the 2014 change was the biggest one ever. Starting in 2014, the GED is now owned and developed by Pearson Education, a private company. As a result of the privatization, other companies developed different high school equivalency exams and entered the market. In the end, TASC, administered by McGraw-Hill, and HiSET administered by ETS, joined in. Now each state has three options to choose from.

What about my state? What exam should I take?

Each state has a state office for high school equivalency exams. They have policies for the high school equivalency credential and use either GED or TASC or HiSET (or more than one) to provide the high school credential to the residents of their state. This means that if you find different information between the GED/TASC/HiSET websites and the state office’s website, you should follow the state’s guideline.

You can contact the state office for questions about requirements, registration, forms, transcripts and much more. Look at the end of this article for contact information and websites.

Great! How do I register for the test?

To register for a test, first, visit the official state website and find out which tests are available in that state. If multiple tests are available, you are free to choose one. Also make sure to check the state eligibility requirements and verify that you meet them. If you have any questions, contact your state office by email or telephone. If you are eligible, visit the official website for the test (GED, TASC, or HiSET) and find a test center near you. You can schedule your test either through the website for the test or by contacting the test center directly.

All tests are available in English and Spanish. Large print, audio, and braille versions are available in many cases. Accommodations such as extended time or a separate room are available in most cases so during registration, request them, if you need. The test (either of GED, TASC or HiSET) must be taken at a state approved testing center – you cannot take the test online.

How do I study for them?

The TASC exam tends to be a bit more rigorous than the GED or the HiSET, but overall, the content of the three tests is similar enough that you can use study material intended for either exam. Make sure to check the official practice tests and sample questions from the relevant exam (GED/TASC/HiSET) website to get a feel for it. Regarding the test format, the GED is only offered on a computer while the TASC and the HiSET can be taken on paper or on a computer. Often, information about free or low cost preparation classes are available on your state’s website. Online GED tutoring companies are a good option too.

How much does the test cost?

The cost of a test includes the battery (section of the test) cost and test center fees. The battery cost is the same within a state but some states allow each testing center to determine their own test center fee. So the test cost can vary anywhere from free to over $150. In addition, if you need official diploma or transcripts, you’ll need to pay for transcript fees. Transcript costs also vary from free to over $15 per copy, depending on the state. Sometimes you have to pay the battery fees and the testing center fees separately, so make sure to check your testing center website.

Also note, that you don’t have to pay for all the tests (English, Math, Science and Social Science) at once – you can pay for the subjects you have prepared for and pay for the rest later. After all, these tests take 7-8 hours to finish so most people split them into two days or more. Sometimes, if you’ve previously failed part of a test, you can get discounts for retaking a test. Various payment options are available so ask about it at the testing centers.

How do I get my transcript?

If you are taking the GED, log into your account on and you will see where to go to order your transcript.

If you are taking the HiSET, click here.

If you are taking the TASC, refer to your state’s website on the local information section on our website to find out how to get your transcript.

Get started!

You’ve learned everything you need to know about High School Equivalency Exams. Now you are ready to visit your state’s official website and your relevant test website to register.

State Websites

Test Websites

GED (General Education Development)

Official Websites

Official Practice Test, Sample Questions & Tutorials

TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion)

Official Websites

Official Practice Test, Sample Questions & Tutorials

HiSET (High School Equivalency Test)

Official Websites

Official Practice Test, Sample Questions & Tutorials


  1. Kaz Nigedna

    Hello I’m actually from Australia and I’ve been wanting to move to America .

    But I’m in slight complications and have been since I left high school
    somewhere in the second term of year 8.

    Since I left school early, and have health issues, it’s been hard to find to work, because majority require a selected level of education/ diploma.

    I heard that a GED could help me,
    So I did a bit of searching. Where I am, a GED is only for year 12 or grade 12

    But I need 10 and 11 along with 12
    So how can I manage to get all 3
    In Australia

    • Jinhee Noh

      Hi Kaz,
      You are taking the GED as an international students in Asia Pacific Region. Each jurisdiction has its own eligibility policy. Log into your MyGED® account at (the official website of GED) to view your alerts drop-down and check the policies where you plan to test. You can also call the Asia Pacific Region Support Center at 85-2-3077-4923.

      • Kaz Nigedna

        I’m a permanent resident to Australia
        So I’m not sure what I’m limited to
        But I’ll see what I can do with that site

        Thank you

  2. Marc Stephan Nkouly

    Am writing from CAMEROON, I also wonder if is possible for me to write any of this exams ?
    Also can i go to Online University with any of them ?
    Wish one is more appropriate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *