Don’t Refuse A Helping Hand

Many GED students find themselves in complicated situations. They may be single parents, lack transportation, find themselves in bad relationships, or suffer from emotional problems that may include substance abuse. These kinds of issues may hold them back from attaining their goals of getting their GED, getting more education, and starting a well-paying career.

A little bit of help from public assistance programs can go a long way, but too often it seems there are too many agencies and not enough money. Learn about the basics of public assistance programs and get the help you are qualified for.

A Couple of Things to Consider When Seeking Financial Assistance

Use Official Websites

Your state and the federal government share the cost of the programs that offer the most assistance, such as SNAP, TANF, and Medicaid. This means that each state has different eligibility requirements and different benefits for each program. Also, the eligibility and benefits policies change frequently depending on the budgets and the economy. What’s true last year might not apply this year. Therefore, it’s important to check the state’s official websites.

Wikipedia or other unofficial websites may not be accurate. They may not be current and they may not even be correct.

Where You Live Matters

Counties and school districts also use their tax revenue to provide services, while non-profits, such as public colleges, social service agencies, and hospitals, receive funding from both the government and private sources. Many programs are delivered at a physical location in the form of services carried out by staff. In fact, for every dollar paid in welfare cash assistance, the United States spends about $15 on social service programs delivered typically by nonprofit agencies. While local programs offer many benefits, they can be hard to get in rural or where the demand for social services is higher than the supply.

Read More: Economic Downturn Impacts Social Services’ Ability to Aid the Poor

Whenever possible, seek out the best solution to your specific need. For example, if your school district can’t accommodate your educational needs because they don’t have the staff or the facilities, moving to a better funded district may be a solution.

Directory of Social Services

Here is the directory of social service contacts. Visit the one stop application website in your state, if you are ineligible or don’t find what you are looking for, dial 2-1-1 or contact the community action agency or major non-profit organizations in your county to find out if they can help you.

Non-Profit Agencies in your area

Dial 2-1-1

Available in all 50 states, 2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral for social services. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.

One-stop Online Application

Alabama Alaska
Arizona Arkansas
California Colorado
Connecticut Delaware
District of Columbia Florida
Georgia Hawaii
Idaho Illinois
Indiana Iowa
Kansas Kentucky
Louisiana Maine
Maryland Massachusetts
Michigan Minnesota
Mississippi Missouri
Montana Nebraska
Nevada New Hampshire
New Jersey New Mexico
New York North Carolina
North Dakota Ohio
Oklahoma Oregon  Oregon: Second Link
Pennsylvania Rhode Island
South Carolina South Dakota
Tennessee  Tennessee: TANF Application Texas
Utah Vermont
Virginia Washington
West Virginia Wisconsin
Wyoming  Wyoming: Health Benefits

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *